The rate of new housing required to meet demand in England is now estimated at between 240,000 and 245,000 units a year, an increase of 10,000 new homes annually on previously accepted figures.
Gazumping and other nasties that flourished in the last property boom are making a return, as competition for homes increases with the bringing forward of the second phase of Help to Buy.
So now could be the time to sell off your garden:
- Its a way of building homes without building on the Green Belt
- It can be a zero risk way to make money if you sell the plot
Garden Bagging works as follows:
- Home Owners with suitable land approach a local builder
- The builder buys the right to seek planning permission for a nominal fee
- If the application is successful the builder will pay up to 85% of the open market value of the consented plot less his costs
Alternatively you could develop the plot yourself for a typical self build its estimated that 35% would be the land cost, 40% build cost and 25% profit margin.