The changes are outlined in this document – CIS Link
- Reducing the Gross Status minimum turnover threshold to £100,000 a year for businesses with multiple directors (from April 2016)
- Initial and annual compliance tests will focus on fewer obligations
- There will be further amendments to the need to submit Nil returns
- It will be easier for Joint Ventures to obtain Gross Status if one party already holds Gross Status
- Online verification will be mandatory from April 2017
- Earlier repayments can be made to liquidators in insolvency proceedings. Currently where a subcontractor is a company, no repayment of any amount deducted and paid over to HMRC by a contractor can be made to the subcontractor until after the end of the tax year in which the deduction was made. These rules will be amended so that in certain cases where the amount deducted by the contractor is excessive, a repayment can be made during the tax year.
- Mandatory online filing of CIS returns will be introduced with the offer of alternative filing arrangements for those unable to access an online channel by reason of age, disability, remote location or religious objection.
- The directors’ self assessment filing requirements will be removed from the initial and annual compliance tests.
- You must re-submit returns for any period that you amend
We await the budget on 16th March 2016 for full details.