How do you nominate a residence as your main residence?

Dream house in spotlight

Your main home benefits from Principle Private Residence Relief which means you don’t pay Capital Gains Tax, but what if you have a second home?

If you don’t make an election HMRC will decide which is your main residence, that might not be the best option from a tax perspective.

So how do you make an election?

Firstly you must make the election within 2 years from the date of acquiring the second home.

Then you need to write to HMRC giving the date you acquired the second property and stating your election under the provision of s222(5) Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992.

Once you have an election in place you can change it whenever you wish.