Have I paid enough National Insurance to get the State Pension? 2

From April 2016 the number of qualifying years to get the full New State Pension has been 35 years, before that it was 30 years.

You can find out how many qualifying years you have by logging onto your government gateway

On the main page go to the bottom and click on ‘View your personal Tax Account’

Then go to the National Insurance box and click on ‘view gaps in your record’ you will then get the summary below and details for each year

You have:

  • xx years of full contributions
  • xx years to contribute before 5 April 20xx (retirement year)
  • xx year when you did not contribute enough

Eligibility – New State Pension

You’ll be able to claim the new State Pension if you’re:

  • a man born on or after 6 April 1951
  • a woman born on or after 6 April 1953

The earliest you can get the new State Pension is when you reach State Pension age.

Your National Insurance record

You’ll usually need at least 10 qualifying years on your National Insurance record to get any State Pension. They do not have to be 10 qualifying years in a row.

This means for 10 years at least one or more of the following applied to you:

If you’ve lived or worked abroad you might still be able to get some new State Pension.

You’ll need 35 qualifying years to get the new full State Pension if you do not have a National Insurance record before 6 April 2016.


Qualifying years if you’re working

When you’re working you pay National Insurance and get a qualifying year if:

  • you’re employed and earning over £183 a week from one employer
  • you’re self-employed and paying National Insurance contributions

You might not pay National Insurance contributions because you’re earning less than £183 a week. You may still get a qualifying year if you earn between £120 and £183 a week from one employer.

Gaps in your National Insurance record

You may get gaps in your record if you do not pay National Insurance or do not get National Insurance credits. This could be because you were:

  • employed but had low earnings
  • unemployed and were not claiming benefits
  • self-employed but did not pay contributions because of small profits
  • living abroad

Gaps can mean you will not have enough years of National Insurance contributions to get the full State Pension (sometimes called ‘qualifying years’).

You may be able to pay voluntary contributions to fill any gaps if you’re eligible.



What is the Kick Start Scheme? Reply

You can use the Kickstart Scheme to create new 6-month job placements for young people who are currently on Universal Credit and at risk of long-term unemployment. The job placements should support the participants to develop the skills and experience they need to find work after completing the scheme.

Funding is available for 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, plus associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions. There is also £1,500 per job placement available for setup costs, support and training.

Funding is available following a successful application process. Applications must be for a minimum of 30 job placements. If you are unable to offer this many job placements, you can partner with other organisations to reach the minimum number.

If you are a representative applying on behalf of a group of employers, you can get £300 of funding to support with the associated administrative costs of bringing together these employers.

Kickstart is not an apprenticeship, but participants may move on to an apprenticeship at any time during, or after their job placement.

The Kickstart Scheme is available in England, Scotland and Wales.




New Client Resources on our Website Reply


Client Learning Centre 

Welcome to the learning centre!

The resources our website are designed to help you with new ideas, news, training and the tools to move your business forward, expand opportunities and to get you where you want to be!

Talk to us about any information contained on our website. We are with you all the way!





Bicknell Business Advisers are now Starling Bank Partners Reply


Who are Starling Bank?
Founded in 2014 by Anne Boden, Starling is the UK’s first mobile bank offering super-fast setup,
beautifully simple money management and 24/7 support, all with no monthly fees. From small
businesses with big ambitions to freelancers figuring out tax returns, Starling’s award-winning
business bank account is designed to make entrepreneurial life a little easier.

Key features
# No monthly account fees
# Speedy setup
# Apply in minutes, with no three week waits.
# Integrate with Xero, QuickBooks and FreeAgent
# 24/7 UK customer support
# Stay in the know
# With real time payment alerts and categorised transactions
for spending insights.
# Easy deposits
# Deposit money at over 11,500 Post Office branches*. Send cheques via freepost, too.
# FSCS protection
Starling are a fully registered bank and the FSCS protects any money you keep with us up to £85,000 for
eligible customers.**

Who’s eligible for a Starling business bank account?
• You’re the owner of a limited company and you’re the only person with significant control
(PSC) over it.
• You’re part of a limited company with multiple owners. With our multi-PSC account, you and
your fellow PSCs will each get a Mastercard debit card and access to a beautifully simple
mobile bank account. For more information, read our blog post titled ‘Introducing: Multiowner mobile business accounts for limited companies’.
• You’re self-employed. Our sole trader account is available exclusively to those who already
have a Starling Bank personal account.
Entities engaged in, or linked in any way to, certain activities may not be able to open or have a business
bank account with Starling. Visit our Legal Documentation page at https://www.starlingbank.com/legal/
and select Business Current Account Terms for more information.

Getting started
Apply in minutes
It takes just a few minutes, direct from your mobile. No paperwork or branch visits required.
● Click on your Accountants application link https://www.starlingbank.com/business-account/?site_id=accounting_partners&creative_id=Bicknell_Business_Advisers
● Download the app from Google Play Store or the App Store.
● Enter your personal details
● Verify who you are by uploading your identification documents and sending us a short video
● We’ll carry out some quick checks at a UK Credit Reference Agency
● Provide a few details about your business, such as its day to day activities and online
● We will then look to approve your application as soon as possible so you can start making
the most of all the features to help you manage your business finances better.

Ready to switch to Starling?
With the Current Account Switch Service (CASS), you* can make Starling your main business bank account in
just seven working days. It’s worth noting that the CASS service is currently only available to Starling business
customers with companies that have one person of significant control.



Making Tax Digital – When will the next stage start? Reply

The dates for MTD for Business seem to change constantly, the Government and HMRC seem unable to create a plan and stick to it.

Yesterday we had a new announcement

From April 2022, the programme will be extended to all VAT registered businesses with turnover below the VAT threshold (£85,000), and from April 2023, it will apply to taxpayers who file income tax self-assessment tax returns for business or property income over £10,000 annually. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-sets-out-draft-agenda-for-a-21st-century-tax-system

The income tax pilot has been running for sometime now and it was expected to go live in April 2021 so basically its been pushed back 2 years.

But in the meantime all VAT registered business need to adopt digital ways to prepare and file VAT as a priority and it will become enforceable by 2022.

What is MTD for Income Tax?

  • Digital business records
  • Quarterly summary of income and expenditure sent to HMRC via software
  • Add personal income at the end of the year
  • Finalise affairs using software – replaces existing Self Assessment Return
  • For sole traders, landlords and partnerships
  • Affecting around 1million tax payers
  • Will include bank interest, dividends, charitable giving



Summer Economic Update 2020 – Is there a give away for you? Reply

Chancellor Rishi Sunak presented the Summer Economic Update against a backdrop of economic uncertainty caused by coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown.


Our summary of the Summer Economic Update provides an overview of the key announcements arising from the Chancellor’s speech. Measures include a new Job Retention Bonus to support the phasing out of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS), a VAT reduction for businesses in the hospitality and tourism sector and a temporary increase to the nil-rate band of residential Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT).


Additionally, throughout the Summary you will find informative comments to help you assess the effect that the proposed changes may have.


If you would like more detailed, one-to-one advice on any of the issues raised in the Chancellor’s speech, please do get in touch.



Companies House deadlines extended automatically Reply

Extension of deadlines for filing accounts from 27 June 2020

From 27 June 2020, more companies will get an extension to their accounts filing deadline. Companies House will extend your company’s filing deadline if it falls any time from 27 June 2020 to 5 April 2021 (including these dates).

Company type Company has not had an extension or shortened their accounting reference period
Public limited companies (PLCs)* Filing deadline extended from 6 to 9 months
Private company Filing deadline extended from 9 to 12 months
LLP Filing deadline extended from 9 to 12 months
Overseas companies who are required to prepare and disclose accounts under parent law Filing deadline extended from 3 to 6 months
SEs* Filing deadline extended from 6 to 9 months

*For PLCs and SEs whose original accounts filing deadline fell on or after 30 June 2020 before it was extended by the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020, this extension will apply and supersede the extension under the Act.

Confirmation statement

Companies and other types of business registered at Companies House will get more time to file their confirmation statement.

The current 14 day deadline (from the end of your review period) will be extended to 42 days. It will apply to:

  • companies
  • LLPs
  • Scottish limited partnerships (SLPs)
  • Scottish qualifying partnerships (SQPs)
  • SEs

It’s an automatic extension – you do not need to apply for more time.



Are you paying too much tax – Tax and Financial Strategies 2020-21 Reply

Forward planning is essential if you want to ensure that you are on course to achieve your business and personal financial goals, and this is even more the case in times of ongoing economic uncertainty.
Using strategic planning tools, we can suggest methods to maximise both your business and your personal wealth, while also helping to keep your tax liabilities to a minimum.

With this in mind, click on the image below its our 2020/21 Tax and Financial Strategies Brochure, which explores some of the key planning opportunities that could help to protect and make the most of your finances.

Please take some time to read through the Brochure, which offers advice and information on all of the key aspects of business and personal taxation.

Contact us if you want to discuss your options.



How will Flexible Furlough work and what is the SEISS payment? Reply

On the 29th May the Government announced details of how Flexible Furlough will work

June and July will be as before at 80%

August will be 80% but excluding Employers NI and Pension (that should reduce claims by around 5%)

September will be 70% funded and 10% from the employer

October will be 60% funded and 20% from the employer

The scheme end in October

Flexible Furlough (CJRS) starts 1st July allowing the employer to pay employees to work some days and claiming the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme for the other days

CJRS will be closed to new entrants from 30th June

Last date you can join is 10th June

The Self Employed Income Support Scheme has been extended ad there will be a further pay out in August of 70% up to £6570

Follow us on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCs5G7bXiYFVLBXiXm3Wwg

Follow our Blog https://stevejbicknell.com/

Check out our website https://www.bicknells.net

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bicknellbusiness/

Follow me of Facebook https://www.facebook.com/stevejbicknell

Connect on Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/in/stevebicknell1/

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/stevejbicknell

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/Bicknelladviser


We use Movavi https://www.movavi.com/ to create our Videos and Story Blocks for footage and audio (Model Released and Property Released) https://www.storyblocks.com/